PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you become a professional helicopter pilot again?
Old 20th Dec 2001, 13:00
Off road

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Hi PJB,

I started my commercial training in Australia when I was 32 years and was determined to become a helicopter pilot. 10 Years before I had flown as a passenger on a huey and knew then what I wanted to do.
I managed to save most of the cost for the training before hand and got right into flying helicopters (have never flown an airplane). It took me just over a year to complete my CPL(H)( I was working at the time as well).
Had endorsements on the R22 and H269 and of I went to find a job as a 150 hrs pilot.
After 6 months travelling around Australia looking for work I returned home without a job and did an IREX and ATPL(H) exams. Even with these qualifications and the hours I had I could not find a Job.
Again 6 months later I got news from Europe that a company was looking for low houred co-pilots flying to the rigs. I went over to europe had to do all exams again (Had not enough hours to convert my Oz licence) up and including ATPL(H).
This company then took me on, here I did my instrument rating, subsequently the company merged with an other company and shortly thereafter lost a contract and suddenly they had too many pilots and I was laid off there and then.
2 months later I got a position to fly a corporate helicopter (VFR) and have been employed ever since. I have had my (Oz)licence for 10 years and I have just short of 1000 hrs.
If you really want to do it go for it but remember it is not going to be easy.
Fly safe