PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you become a professional helicopter pilot again?
Old 3rd Jul 2002, 21:49
SandBlaster-214

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So...,

One big question in my mind now is: If it's so bad for the few of you, whay are you still here? Is someone holding a gun to your head making you hang with us neurotic underachievers? If the grass is so much greener on the other side, get after it - climb the fence and go. (Could it be that I'm not the underachiever in this discussion?)

Why are you folks so upset that I, along with some others here, should be happy and comfortable doing what I/ we do? It sounds to me like you are condeming everyone else for the poor choice or choices you made (and continue to make) for yourselves (rationalization).

Bert, what's the "military thing" have to do with this discussion? By your own admission...:

*** "I also did the military thing and those folks should be eliminated from this as they also make a good living with benefits and retirement....... " ***

...your opinion should be eliminated and deleted from the thread. Hey, that's what happens when you try to change the rules after the ball's in the air. (BTW, I started 30 years ago, did everything on my own - zero military - my own money, blood, sweat, NO tears and NO whining. I've been a line pilot doing those things you mentioned - and I was, and still am happy and content). Please don't try and load the jury box. IMHO, assuming everyone here is a pilot - military background or not - line pilot, corporate pilot, LE pilot or whatever pilot, each deserves equal press.

Further, this thread's question is not a debate about unions (that's the "other" websight), it's a debate over personal preferences and whether we would make the same choices again.

Just so you know when you start throwing stones at me; I am considered a line pilot. In this position, I am making $48K and will "top out" at around $55K USD (notwithstanding any future [non-guaranteed] cost of living allowances). I consciously made the decision to take this position over quite a few others - most offering a much better salary. I have everything that I desire and enough money left over to play at whatever it is I choose. I do not have any supplemental incomes. I'm not hoping to advance in the company as I've "been there and done that" - all the way to the top.

Now, please, direct me to the "Big Book of Life" that sets forth the criterion for personal happiness and show me the paragraph that madates that I have to be a miserable SOB while living the life I have chosen so I can see what the fuss is all about.

Again, to robpowell69, Whirly, and the other aspiring pilots looking in on the debate, best of luck, keep pluggin' away and make yourselves happy. In all my travels, it's been my observation that, no mater what the chosen field, no mater what the salary or conditions, there's always going to be someone standing around, crying and complaining.

C Ya

"We all wear the chains we forge in life"