PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you become a professional helicopter pilot again?
Old 30th Jun 2004, 15:48
Banjo George

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ta HeadsetHair (great name)

Errrm, I have flown a copter twice so far, and a jet provost (aerobatics) and a glider. On all occasions I seem to have at least better than 'some' aptitude.

Sadly, I've always been a bit slow at the old Maths - I can do it but perhaps not quickly enough. Need to practise.

The Liverpool School appeared to be the best in the area - I did check 3 or 4 out. I tried Cabair a few years ago and they said quote :

'you're too old and it'll cost too much. You can't compete with ex-military for jobs'. Naturally I left, refreshed and not even slightly subdued ..............................

Anyhow, better not slate Cabair though at the time, I did indeed think they were doing me a favour.

Thanks to Hilico too - all good advice. Luckily the dynamics and science of flight interests me greatly so I\'ve got more than a laymans knowledge.

I really just wondered how \'involved\' the maths actually got when you\'re in the air - stuff like air density calculations and stuff got me a bit worried.

Right now, 300+ hours looks like a monster hill ...............