PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Good Old Days!!!
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2005, 16:36
OFBSLF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now, the .303" with brass butt-plate - that did give a kick!!
You think so? I'm not a fan of heavy recoiling rifles, but I don't think my No. 4 Mk I has that much recoil. The key is you MUST keep the butt stock tight against your shoulder. If you don't, then the rifle will accelerate before hitting your shoulder and it WILL hurt.

But the No. 4 Mk I rifle is rather heavy and the .303 is a bit down on energy compared to 7.62 Nato, IIRC. The No. 4 has very nice sights and a lovely, smooth, fast throw to the bolt. No Mauser-style action that I've used has ever matched the feel of the No. 4 bolt throw. Not all that accurate, however.

The FAL/SLR has a big following, but frankly the appeal escapes me. I've got one and I'm not a fan. The receiver is overly long, putting the handguard and balance point too far forward (unless you are built like a gorilla). It is easy to field strip. But I've jammed mine several times -- open up the gas port just a bit too much and the empty cartridge casings don't fully eject and get caught between the dust shroud and the bolt carrier. I've never particularly enjoyed kick the operating handle of a rifle to get it open...

I find the M14 balances much better for me and has better sights and a better trigger. I've also had better luck with the M14 magazines than FAL mags -- less likely to have the base plate fall off and dump the contents of the magazine at your feet.

Downsides of the M14 is that takedown is more complex and you have to clean from the muzzle. Also the safety lever for the M14 is not in so great a spot.

I've got a couple Garands. They're lovely rifles, but a bit heavier than the M14. Loading them is dodgy, though I've so far managed to avoid M1 thumb.

Last edited by OFBSLF; 30th Jun 2005 at 20:27.