PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wow it really sucks up here!
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2005, 15:09
Otterman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Elitist? Not sure if you are grasping what I am saying. If you pass the aptitude test and meet all the psychological requirements there is nothing stopping you from entering the program. Like I said the banks will lend you the money. There are also people from Europe who take the route of getting their licenses in the USA and Canada and in that way try to break into the system. If you are that motivated, all the more power to you. I think it is only healthy to realize that you are fighting an uphill battle.

I think it is a good idea to give people a realistic picture about the venture they want to undertake. Being selective is a good thing in my opinion. I know that our profession is no longer held in any regard back in Canada, but it should at least rate up there with normal professional careers. Universities and colleges don’t let just anyone into the more lucrative study areas. Medicine, dentistry, engineering etc. The pre-screening happens in the grades that you get in high school, I think we can expect at least that much for our profession. Becoming a licensed pilot in Canada is also a sizable investment, with at the end of the rainbow very little reward. The system here in the Netherlands makes a lot more sense to me. You get a better product this way as well. Don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings, but it is the truth.

But it sounds like you have your mind set about how wonderful system is that we have. But remember it has produced the situation that we see in Canada now. Good luck to you.

Please keep the insults down to a dull roar. It does not make your points more relevant, it does the opposite.