PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helitech 2001 - disappointing
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2001, 00:25
PANews

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
OUCH!!!!!

'PAnews
Your profile is "Retired Policeman, Editor, Journalist". If it doesn't affect your anonymity to tell us, what were you selling?
PAnews / PP Heli'

Guilty. I was selling 'me' and digging for stories for the next few issues..... Retired policeman does not have to mean brain dead and PAN is the whiz in my life. Nearly everything I write has my name on it because I am not ashamed of it [even when found wrong] and I project that attitude onto PPrune. That is why my handle is very transparent. Note also that PACRotors has a similar policy. I doubt we are the only 'press' around PPrune.

'As someone has pointed out, nobody was ever forced to watch the displays if they didn't want to.
'Why are you against them if other people think they add to the atmosphere of the show?
What do you see as the disadvantage?'

I think that this has been answered. There were a number of spotters on site anyway and they seemed happy enough with what they were getting even if they did not get a conventional display. I just understand that exhibitors believe there are 'better' things to be had at Helitech than a display by 'yesterdays' helicopters. You should sample some of the feedback I am getting from a range of pilots who flew the EC130 at the show. The number of pilots able to fly any of the aircraft available for 5-10 minutes would be severely effected by deleting an hour or more a day for sheer [solo] exhibitionism.

'McAlpines and MW Helicopters obviously thought the demos were cost effective because they flew nonstop when allowed.'

See my previous comment .....

'....they knew what they were doing.'

You said it!