PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helitech 2001 - disappointing
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2001, 00:04
PANews

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Iwas there all four days.

Overall figures were clearly down but the show was probably better for it [business wise]. There were access problems but only because this was assessed on whether foreigners and those south of Watford could get there. Coming from Sussex by air in a single is said to be not good news.

Lots of U.S. dropped out [even though it must be the safest time to fly] including Frank Robinson who had a major part to play in the event. Equally there were lots there and all due credit to them.

One exhibitor notified a loss of a CEO in the Twin Towers - but they still turned up.

A major blow must have been that Westland pulled out 'late'. I guess the organisers did not lose out from that financially but there was a lot of shuffling before the day. Westland camped in the Sloane chalet. Part of this pull out may have been that they had a [successful] show at DSEI in ExCel Docklands just two weeks earlier and may have been pretty whacked [I guess - and make excuses for them!]. Anyway there were lots of late gaps through other 'no shows' and a few additional partition moves and 'rest areas'.

As for outside, Suffolk Police 135 and the Anglian Air Ambulance 105 were on call but pulled for Thursday/Friday. Thames Valley A109E was pulled after Wednesday [better things to do, train to catch?].

As for whether there should be air displays beyond the many demo flights, I think not. I recall with great pleasure the K-Max display at Redhill .... but how many K-Max's did it sell? No, unfortunately, this is not an air show it is a place to do business and some think that it should be like HAI and moved to ExCel like DSEI.

Mind you I did like the regular throaty roar of the Merlin [engine].......