PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advise For Students
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2005, 11:55
A333

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you there. It's not a matter of having the bare minimum or not for education.

It is very different to bare minimum for hours. You say how many pilots are getting employed with the bare minimums (500 hrs for QF), yes not many BUT I'm asking you now, how many pilots are getting employed with 1500 hrs or more WITH the bare minimum for their education (just HSC)?

Why study for a degree if your goal is to become a pilot? Why waste 3 years studying for a degree that you don't need when you can use this time to look for a job or build hours?

This comparison is always used but it's nothing but the truth, if someone had a degree of some sort with 1000 hrs experience and another with no degree but 3000 hrs of experience, which one would the airline choose? Obviously the one with more FLYING experience.

A degree may give you something to fall back on but why waste time, money and effort if what you really want to do is fly? You'd be better off obtaining a degree after by distance education.

Just my 2cents worth