PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wow it really sucks up here!
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2005, 04:53
Dockjock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll admit that starting off here in aviation is much harder than it is in other countries. Harder, meaning harder work, less pay, and less respect. But what I do not believe is that your chances of getting a jet job are any different than they are in any other region in the world. Europe, or Asia, or the middle eastern carriers are not just handing out jet jobs like candy to anyone walking down the street as it may be tempting to believe when you're unemployed in Canada.

As an example, let's take 100 20-yr old wannabe pilots from each region. In Canada, I'd guess that 70 would go on to obtain the license and begin searching for work. Of them, perhaps 50 would get a job in charter, instructing, or light aircraft aerial work). Of those, 10 years later, perhaps 20 will eventually get a jet job. So a theoretical success rate of 20%, but still with 30% still working as pilots but unable to land a jet job.

Now let's forget Asia and the middle east for now, because both regions generally recruit expats as Captains only, and the few that hire first officers either come with a type rating due to being laid off "back home", or pay their own rating prior to joining.

So for those same 100 20-yr old wannabe pilots in Europe, I'd guess that right off the bat only 30 are able to afford to pay for $100,000 worth of training to even complete the licenses. Fewer still are accepted into a cadet programme (for the very, very few airlines out there still running them). Out of them, say 25 are able to get jobs, with say 20 on jets. Sure 25 out of 30 got jobs, and 20 on jets, but fully 70% had to abandon their dreams totally at the outset because of the high barrier to entry!

Of course this is pure conjecture, but useful as a thought experiment. In Canada, due to the lower cost and standards of obtaining the license, more people are able to complete the training, and more people are able to get jobs. Granted, they are not necessarily sustainable, or good jobs, but that is in large part owing to our very, very large general aviation industry in comparison with other regions. Do we really think a Cessna 180 floatplane pilot living in Beaver Fever, MB is going to be paid 50, 60, or $70,000 a year!? Of course not.

I do believe our jet pilots are paid competitively with other nations, the difference is the road to get there is usually 10+ years longer than it is in other places, hence the earnings, and happiness gap. A 30 or 35 year old ex-wannabe jet pilot in europe has long since moved onto a different career. Here, many more are able to stay connected with the industry and slog along hoping for better one day but continually getting further and further behind "everyone else". This is where the majority of our complaints and dissatisfaction comes from.

One very positive thing about Canada is that due to our very large GA industry, many are able to carve out very nice careers in specialized areas such as arctic, fire suppression, or medevac flying while (quite happily) never pursuing big jet airline flying.