PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advise For Students
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2005, 15:36
404 Titan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Downburst
If you want to be an airline pilot then get yourself a degree, either a BSc involving electronic engineering as well as transport management.
I’m sorry but I have to disagree with this statement because it is rubbish. Australian and most Asian carriers have not gone down the road of the US counterparts in requiring you to have a university degree. I remember similar statements being made 20 years ago that if you don’t have a degree your chances of getting into the airlines in the future will be bleak. If you have one it certainly isn’t a hindrance but doesn’t give you any more of a chance of getting into an airline than someone that doesn’t have one. All you require is a pass in year 12 maths, physics and English and the appropriate flying hours and qualifications. That’s what it was 20 years ago when I got into flying and that’s what it is today.
For aspiring airline pilots you would be best off by learning to fly and then study aviation to the internationally recognized JAR-FCL competencies.
Again rubbish. Airlines in this region want you to have an ICAO recognised licence. Whether you got this in Australia, New Zealand the US etc is irrelevant to them, as long it can be converted to the national equivalent. If you have studied at one of the Uni’s below is again irrelevant. What they want to see is that you meet their minimum requirements experience wise and hold the relevant licences. Some airlines in Aus may also require that you hold an Aus ATPL without exemptions.
Which Univeresities? Lund (Sweden with a branch in the USA) , Embry-Riddle in the USA, Cranfield University in Oxford (UK) etc. That's where international airlines send their cadets.
QF, SQ, CX and KA don't send their cadets there. Infact none of these airlines send any of their students to any university.