PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC Slots - an extra hour in bed please?
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2005, 12:20
SATCO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread is getting very interesting whilst complex! I have a couple of extra bits to add, if I may?

First of all, 'You Splitter' et al, the guys at Brussels AND at the local FMPs are able to add in extra slots on an occasional basis, depending on exceptional circumstances. It's quite right that it's no good being belted with a 2 hour slot delay (and I've personally seen DOUBLE FIGURES in the past!) when you can go now. So, as you rightly say, the computer has to be dispensed with, in this case TACTCASA, and a HUMAN can look at the situation, make a traffic impact assessment and (usually) bypass the outrageous, computer-generated delay.

As for WHBM, I agree, but that's all very 'ideal world' stuff I'm afraid. Traffic and delay predictions for tomorrow, for example, are already KNOWN to IFPS and CFMU, but the dynamic situation changes so rapidly that to forewarn operators of the expected slot so far in advance of operations would be unrealistic.

Overall though, as I noted previously, if we can all play the game by the rules, CFMU will be better armed to push on with its aim of removing slot delays altogether, a sentiment echoed way back in 1996.

Almost ten years on and some of the operators seem discontent to subscribe to THAT ideal world scenario.

SATCO