PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wow it really sucks up here!
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2005, 03:40
smo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dockjock:

I had no illusions coming into this industry. My father is a retired pilot and he was busy trying to talk me out of getting into aviation for a good 15 years, so I have no excuses whatsoever.
When I mentioned the flyingschools, it's because I spent plenty of time at my flying school standing around the coffee machine, between/before/ after flying lessons listening to these guys go on about this looming pilot shortage the school was promising them. Don't get me wrong, we do need flyinschools and pilots. All I am saying is that many poor souls really have no idea what they are getting themselves into until it is to late. Who haven't heard this line at some point, " if I knew I had to endure all this BS to get into a cockpit I would have done something else!"

I towed gliders, did aerial photography, flew floats and ski's, hauled cargo and fuel and have flown for a couple of smaller scheduled airlines as well as one major carrier. Would I change anything if sent back in time? Absolutely not! I would have missed out on meeting and befriending, or simply crossing paths with all the fantastic aviators, friends and folks from various walks of life that I have met if i changed anything. I would not have met my wonderful wife or had the 2 beautiful children I have today if I changed anything.
Whats my point you say? Well, my point is that I am not copmplaining about the career or path I took, sure It wouldn't bother me any if I did not have to move that regularly but it is the price you pay. It's simply a decent wage for me at this point. To be able to plan your financial future. But hey! I might be posting how much my life sucks on here in a few months. There are no gurantees in this business. One thing I have learned though is that you must be willing to take chanses and make sacrifices to make headway in this industry.... and I am sure as hell ready to take at least one more chance if not more

BTW! One thing to be said for Canada is the many forms of aviation offered due to size, geography and climate. Not many if any other country offers the exposure to extremes that Canada does. Take tempereature as an example. We as Canadian aviators have alot to be proud of. We just need to figure out how to get paid what we deserve.

My 2 cents!