PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Good Old Days!!!
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2005, 02:47
Like This - Do That

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Steyr / Austeyr F-88 has the wonderful 1.5X lense atop the weapon. Great until it rains, then you're onto the open 'battle' sights. Ecch! Hopeless.

Things that break on the Steyr like the cocking handle (plastic) didn't break on the L1A1. The L1A1 could be used half stripped, and was simpler to strip. L1A1 had fewer parts lying in a neat L-R manner on the clean dry hoochie in front of you than the F-88. The whole 'inspect weapons' thing was simpler and safer with the L1A1, and the L1A1 safety catch was harder to accidently knock off than with the F-88. The L1A1 trigger was surrounded by a trigger guard, unlike the F-88 ... much safer.

Aussie drill with arms very pucker with L1A1 ... rather silly with F-88s slung over the shoulder like handbags (not that drill really counts )

But ..... as I never deployed with the F-88, or used it much on longer exercises, I don't think I can rubbish it. Most of the blokes seem to like the F-88 but naturally most of the newer blokes have never even seen an L1A1. And as previous posters have mentioned the markmanship improved dramatically, even I shot better, (miracle).

Now as for MAG58 vs M-60 .......