PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Good Old Days!!!
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2005, 09:02
Sideshow Bob

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The Good Old Days!!!

I was wondering around the Museum at Hendon the other day, amazed at the amount of stuff that was in service when I first joined up that has now made it’s way into the Museum. Seeing it all in one place got me thinking, where the good old days really as good as we make them out to be? Remember the days before high leg boots when we had to cut the top of our DMS boots to stop them ripping our ankles to shreds, then having to put on putties. We all go on about how good the old SLR rifle was, but remember just how heavy it was with a full mag and the bruise it would leave on your shoulder from the kick back. The days of power sets that never started and when they did they always tripped off-line. Endless days on Tacivals sat wearing one of those old respirators (Mk4?) with the really small eye-pieces and no drinking straw. The old tin hats that really hurt the top of your head, unless you had a woolly hat on as well. The 1 ½ mile run, ten times harder than today’s bleep test. It just makes you think, with all the nostalgia removed, where the good old days really that good?