PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Something mysterious in Snowdonia
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2005, 22:13
cyclic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crab being an expert in all things aviation should know that the real point of the TDA for SAROps is to protect the SAR cab from the fast, pointy boys. If Crab thinks that a bunch of R22s are a threat to another helo then the four person Sea King crew needs to sharpen up their airmanship. As SASless quite rightly points out the ability to monitor guard on a V/UHF set is purely a military capability and I would have thought that a second box on the local LARS service (if available) would be more appropriate. Quite surprisingly, although the venerable old Sea King can monitor 121.5, it (mk3) does not have a second box and is therefore somewhat less capable than most commercial civilian helos despite it quite regularly flying in Class A airspace!?

As another person has already stated, this is Class G airspace and therefore open to one and all. If I was a SAR operator I would be more worried about the student flying his hawk than a mountain flyng course. The ambulance and police manage without this protection and are far more vulnerable than a big old Sea Queen and probably do more jobs than Valley do anyway.

The last time I issued a CANP, it was infringed by a military helo!