PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Something mysterious in Snowdonia
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2005, 09:41
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Crab: two things if I may:

I am your friendly neighbourhood police chopper. Down the road at Caernarfon is the north wales air ambulance. Between us we probably do around a 100 HEMS jobs into/out of the mountains, especially this time of year. We do training with all the MRT's we evn on the odd occasion do joint ops with yourselves in the hills! Other than the odd serious incident (plane crash, major rescue), we have never had the need for initiating a TDA????

Why did you initiate one for a broken ankle

All those pilots enjoying a day out around the most beautiful parts of the UK and you tell them to bugger off?
Massive overkill if you ask me.

Secondly - we don't even monitor 121x5!! Especially in the hills - no signal!! No-one else on it except london information above 3000' AMSL.
We always listen out on Caernarfon because of all the puddle jumpers with great success (all those wazzing the cafe at Snowdon are on Caernarfon freq.)
And we always listen out on Valley radar, for my best mates the fast jets (not).
We've got our own for you if we want to talk direct.
Civvies certainly don't listen out on 121x5 in them thar hills, I can guarantee that!

Sabre Zero 1 (fancy call sign!). Have you notam'd your movements for next week?
We would certainly expect to hear about your activities one way or another. Are you basing yourselves somewhere?
Give the police a call and they'll give you our landline number - give us a call? We have an op in the hills on the 2nd.
Don't bother with 121x5, listen out on valley frequency constantly.