PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Instructors who refuse to spin
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2005, 00:29
Speed Twelve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
waldopepper42,

Incipient spin off manouever recoveries are indeed the best things to practice if you are going to aerobat the Firefly. Provided you apply the incipient spin recovery as soon as you recognise any undemanded roll the aeroplane will come out. As hugh flung-dung pointed out with the Bulldog, the high-rotational spin mode in the Firefly tends to occur when the stick is moved forward before opposite rudder is applied during a fully-developed spin recovery. During the subsequent correct recovery, the stick may go to the forward stop before rotation stops, sometimes resulting in a bunt as the aircraft breaks out of the spin.

Firefly rates of descent in a fully-developed spin can be quite high; the M260 is in the order of 7000 fpm. I am not familiar with the civilian versions of the aeroplane, but I fly both the M160 and M260 at work, and the full spin recovery techniques are subtely different for each type. Basically the M160 uses the 'standard' spin recovery technique, whereas in the M260 there is a 1 second pause between applying full opposite rudder and moving the control column centrally forward.

As regards jumping out, bearing in mind the 7000 fpm descent, we use transition level + height of the ground as a minimum abandonment flight level. In practice, with 1000' to go to minimum abandonment, I'd open the canopy early as a last ditch attempt to alter the spin mode before deciding to step outside.

ST