PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice on buying a helicopter please......
Old 23rd Sep 2001, 00:09
Jed A1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The popularity of the R22 has always puzzled me. I can only conclude that Robinson’s sales and marketing efforts won the day over Enstrom’s and others. The R22 is so cramped and flimsy, whereas the Enstrom has room to spare. I’ve looked in detail at the operating costs of both and they are within pounds of each other.

With regards to the UK, Southernair at Shoreham used to be an Enstrom distributor but I believe they are no more. Manchester Helicopter Centre at Barton is an Enstrom Authorised agent so can deal directly with the factory for you. With regard to the rest of the world I’m not too sure. Maybe this support and dealer network is another area where Enstrom have let themselves down.

Don’t disregard Schweizer, another good machine to look at. Although to me the looks just don’t do it justice.

The Bell 47 to me is a great machine apart from vibration and cruise speed. It’s strong and roomy. It’s just that had it’s time. Spares availability, maintenance, AD’s all makes them time (and money) consuming machines to own and operate.