PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DEC's at EK
Thread: DEC's at EK
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2005, 15:51
Cerberus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why are we getting into trying to compare experience? For what its worth, and coming from me, not much. It is a myth that getting more hours gains experience. Initially it is true that hours mean something but beyond about 2500 as an F/O and 1000 more as a commander, zip. I sat on my ass for 8 hours today going to the UK and just got 8hrs older, a little fatter but not more experienced.

If the company has run out of F/Os that meet their command criteria and want to expand; then they need DECs. For the DECs to be of any use and to have any worthwhile experience; They must be:

1. A commander
2. Qualified on type
3. Used to flying on worldwide ops.

A 15,000 hour 'Captain' is not twice as good as a 7,500 hour Captain, just a little older. The stats actually say they have a higher accident risk for what it is worth. I actually don't believe in hours, I believe in a meritocracy but then the whole aviation industry would collapse and we'd all be DECs rather than just legends in our own lunch times.

EK need to determine what competencies they require in their Captains and promote when they have achieved them; in order of seniority. The flaw is that this system would require honesty and humility. If they don't have enough to promote they will need to hire DECs; but they must have the experience above.

We have had the ludicrous situation of a 737 'Captain, Bill' of whom we have 3 days experience at the interview recruited to the 330 as a DEC. But a 737 'Captain, George', with marginally fewer 'hours', that has spent 2 years working for EK on the 330 is considered ineligible. One word bizarre!

Apparently one of our esteemed managers was qouted as saying 'But Bill is a Captain!' How do you deal with that mentality? Next we will be employing mates even if they fail the assessment.

If we want to move forward we have to assess true experience based upon what a pilot has accomplished during their career. Just counting hours doesn't work. If I took a different measure and said, say, landings, all wide body commanders would be helo pilots.

Cerberus

Last edited by Cerberus; 23rd Jun 2005 at 16:23.