PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Inadvertent IMC - What to do if it happens?
Old 23rd Jun 2005, 15:31
212man

Received 363 Likes on 204 Posts
Soggyboxers; well that confirms my guess as to who you are!

I was flying on that day and well remember the conditions. I also remember seeing, on the TV news that evening, the face of the senior policeman who was in the area doing dog training at the time, and who was the first on the scene; he was pale and very shocked (and that's a senior policeman who will have seen God knows what in the past.)

I won't describe what actually happened, but if anyone is in any doubt as to the true horror of the consequences of this type of accident, read the AAIB report. Very sad indeed (and the example I used on a previous thread about the mistaken belief that throwing money and hours at going solo is not necessarily the best option when training).

There are many adages in aviation, often true and based on hard won experience. A couple that might be pertinent in this discussion are:

"The superior pilot is one who uses his superior judgement to avoid putting himself in a situation where he has to use his superior flying skills", and..

"It is better to be on the ground wishing you were flying, than to be in the air wishing you were on the ground!"