PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FR off the runway in Sweden
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2005, 13:25
Flip Flop Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those not too well versed in Swedish

From the article linked above:

Enligt Mikael Nilsson hamnade piloten för långt åt sidan när han skulle lämna taxibanan och köra ut på startbanan. Vänstra landningsstället hamnade på en nyasfalterad sidoyta som är till för snöröjningsfordon. Hjulparet sjönk ner 30 centimeter och planet tippade åt vänster så att undersidan på vänstra motorn tog i asfalten, enligt ett vittne. Flera passagerare berättar att piloten varvade flygplanets motorer som för att komma upp ur gropen - förgäves. I stället ska hjulen ha sjunkit djupare.
Mikael Nilsson vet inte om asfalten gav med sig på grund av försommarvärmen. - Det får haveriutredningen visa.

My translation:

"According to Mikael Nilsson (Airport manager) the pilot ventured too far to the side as he left the taxiway to enter the runway. The left main gear went onto a newly resurfaced piece of taxiway meant only for snow clearing vehicles. The wheels sunk 30 cm and the aircraft tipped left, seeing the left engine impact the ground. Several passengers reported that the pilot rev'ed the engine to get out of the hole - in vain. Instead the wheel supposedly dug in deeper. Mikael Nilsson does not know if the asphalt gave way owing the the heat. - The investigation will show that".