PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Inadvertent IMC - What to do if it happens?
Old 23rd Jun 2005, 08:12
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whilst I deplore scud running like TC, I also have some sympathy with those who have to pay for their flying and only have limited opportunities to get airborne - they are generally more likely to 'explore' the met forecast in the hope it is better than expected. Sadly these are the same guys who often end up as statistics.
Some of these people are overconfident too. I remember, as a very low hours PPL(H), going to a fly-in in showery conditions with a lot of low cloud. I flew around the hills, and kept a long way from any cloud. When I got there, I met someone who'd flown in an R22 over the Welsh mountains!!! I couldn't believe he'd done it, but assumed, since he had more hours than me (though still very few in real terms) that he knew what he was doing. Looking back, I'd say he was overconfident. And why? OK, he wanted to go flying, and get to the fly-in; so did I. But flying round the hills was reasonably safe, and gave you more options to land if necessary. Some PPLs think that the fact a helicopter can slow down and land means they can take risks with impunity. Not sensible!