PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas; the thread.
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2005, 08:57
GalleyHag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gigs

I apologise if you took offence to my post it certainly was not intended to offend.

However the reality and facts are that you are employed by an external labour hire company as a casual flight attendant. Qantas at no stage would ever guarantee that you would be offered permanent employment. If you wanted a position as a permanent flight attendant maybe you should have applied to an airline that offers such opportunities I dont think you are in a position to complain you would have clearly known when you joined MAM what the position involved and the MAM website states:

"Flexibility is the key to becoming a Casual Flight Attendant.You are required to be on-call 24 hours a day, 7 days per week. This will obviously include weekends and public holidays (Christmas and Easter). There is no guarantee of hours, as these will be determined by flight demand and existing staffing levels. This will often occur at short notice."

(amongthestars, maybe those single mothers should have paid careful attention to the section that stated no guarantee of hours before they signed the contract.)

As I have stated before the last time permanent positions were made available in short haul was early 2003. Now two and half years later they are making available a further 32 positions. So the chances of ever obtaining a permanent position are slim, more so once the governement takes control of the senate and industrial relation reform occurs.

Just for your reference I started with Eastern as I refused to take a casual or fixed term position and remained on the Qantas short list. After the collapse of Ansett I was offered a permanent position with Qantas. That was my choice as I wanted a career as a flight attendant, which is not possible when you are a casual.