PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas; the thread.
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2005, 09:02
andie74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gigs,
yeah i have to agree. and recently i have heard a few others also saying the same thing. i guess this month bcos its been particularly quiet it has really high-lighted itself as a valid issue. it seems a bit unfair/unjust that we are expected to give 48 hrs notice to go non-AV on an AV day (ie. no AV span allocated as you were talking about), when we arent getting paid a cent to sit around at home for 24 hrs just incase we get a call....and this month there were a lot of those days. basically id say youre right -with so many causals now, many casuals are electing to stay available without the AV span and so therefore there must be an fair amount of 'free home reserve' going on??

my question though is at wot point is a 'casual' job is no longer truly a casual job??? .....particularly when the rules keep changing as the months pass. I like being casual, and have chosen in my previous work to also be a casual employee bcos thats what suits me best lifestyle wise- however.... it seems that the more that these little things keep coming up we are becoming less and less 'casual' - at what point are we no longer truly considered casual anymore? when there are so many conditions applied to the days/hours that we can/cant work, where does it stop i wonder???