PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advise For Students
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2005, 03:16
locusthunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ash767,

A genuine congratulations! Studying Finance at Uni is one of the best things that you could do. You'll probably be a lot richer and happier than if you had have stayed in Aviation.

While some people argue "battle on and stay in the industry no matter what", I would actually argue differently, if things aren't working out, get out and do something else. I've seen too many people end up very bitter about it and missing the best years of their life trying to chase some non-existent job in some remote corner of the country.

I know that this is not the trendy thing to say but the fact is... luck does play a part. Some people get a good run in the industry and some don't. Some people get a good first or second job- others don't.

You've given some good advice there, I would amend and add to your 5 things:

1) Don't get a loan. Earn the money. Getting a loan is bad news- being in debt before you go into the industry is just plain stupid. Debt generally causes slavery in the world. Only ever use debt to invest. A CPL is not an investment, no matter what anyone says.

2) Do the bear minimums but if you can, use the hours to get some ratings as well. Keep in mind that the more you do while you are earning money in a real job, the less you will have to scrounge for once you are working in aviation.

3) Talk with people about their experiences- if you are in a capital city, go and make pilot friends at a country airport and talk with them about their experiences- milk all the contacts you can for all their worth and take heed of bad stories as well as good ones.

4) Be very wary of flashy brochures, but also realise sometimes that people who are putting enough $ into advertising have enough $ in the first place. Anything with a 747 of the like should be avoided.

5) Definately have back-up plan. In fact, have a back-up career or skill. Get yourself a decent job and some sort of qualification in something versatlie and movable. Do this before or while you are doing your training. It will make you a better person and will probably help your aviation job prospects.

6) If you haven't any, get some experience living in the country (i.e. at least a regional town) get some. Depending on your circumstances, it also may be cheaper to live there. Many people in the cities don't realise where they will have to live to get the jobs.

7) Learn how to approach and talk to people in the industry.

8) Leave any attitude you may have at home when you look for work. Be confident and diplomatic.

9) Realise that your paid flying work after CPL is being paid because you are making someone else (the operator) more money. Think about thier goals and what they want. Too many junior CPLs have their heads in the clouds only thinking about what they themselves want out of aviation.

10) Do all your theory. If you want to get an ATPL one day- start studying for it.

11) Most people are barracking for you in the industry- most people like to see fresh CPL holders get on and get hours- but always remember some people with more expreience in the industry have gone through hell to get the hours in their log books (treat them with care).

12) The industry can be hell. And you know what Winston Churchill said about hell..."if you are going through hell you better keep going."

Geeeeeeeeeezzzzz...... I should write a book.

Actually, I was going to write a book and then I thought no F it, I'll just buy one!