PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How much Exp req'd to fly Yak 18T?
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2005, 09:56
gregbell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oscar Kilo

I have a Yak 18T and I'm based at Waltham (HA-YAJ) .... so would be pleased to give you some advice:

* The 18T is a piece of cake to fly. The wing crank makes it much more forgiving than a 52.

* There are no issues in terms of airframe that you have with, say, the 50. Totally different aircraft built for entirely different uses.

* The only paperwork 'hoop' is that you will need to get the aircraft onto the Hungarian register, if it isn't all ready. They used to be on the Russian (RA) or Lithuanian (LY) registers until one of our members inadvertently flew through Heathrow airspace which triggered a CAA enquiry into 18Ts in general. It turned out that the Russians hadn't certified them for international use and the Lithuanians only issued tickets because they were following the Russians' lead. Upshot was they were all grounded in the UK. However, Richard Goode (UK dealer, 01544 340120) worked with the CAA to get the whole matter resolved by getting agreement to switch all 18Ts (if they didn't want to remain grounded) to the HA register where they provide a full public C of A. Hungary is a full JAA member and have carried out their own detailed CofA certification programme. Contrary to some old rumours which still occasionally do the rounds, Richard and the CAA have got the whole issue sorted.

* You can now get both 50 and 100 hour maintenance carried out by Pete Shaw at Russian Engineering, with full Hungarian CAA approval, which is, as you will know, based at Waltham. The Russian engineers there are superb.

* As far as flying the aircraft is concerned, don't worry .... just jump in and you'll soon master it. Yes you will have to watch the engine temperature control (gills) and master the VP and gear, but that's just fun, not pressure.

* Get one with the additional long range tank in the fuselage. This gives you 310 litres in total, enough for four hours plus reserve. It's a fantastic touring aircraft - it can take full fuel, four big adults and luggage. I've been all over Europe, the furthest being Hungary which was achieved with just one stop in Germany while en route.

* Aeros are amazing fun. You will learn so much.

* Coming from a PA28 (as I did at 200 hrs) you will find out what the rudder pedals are all about ... I always thought they were just foot rests! (just a joke ... no 'outraged' PA28 lovers please!)

* Bear in mind that the 18T only has instrumentation, as standard, for VFR. Putting in serious upgrades costs a lot of money if you want ILS, DME, ADF, GPS etc etc. I strongly recommend Lees Avionics at Booker if you want more info on this. (speak to Harry Lees).

* There are a few real dogs around. Don't assume they are all the same. Best to talk to both Yak UK (Mark Jefferies) and Richard Goode for advice.

* Operating costs are £120 per hour wet (which includes £20 per hr into a prop/engine fund), and £60 per hour fixed if you are doing a hundred hours a year or more (we do 150 hrs per annum)

I'm more than happy to meet at the club if you want further advice. Send me a note of your email or mobile and I'll get in contact.

She's a pussycat .... go for it!