PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lowering cloud base rising terrain
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2005, 21:21
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am slightly struggling with this concept of pop up IFR traffic causing a commercial to break off an approach, and it is worrying me, particularly as I am happy to be a prat but only if I know why.

Presumably our VFR traffic has got himself into the zone undetected below the base and presumably below radar cover or the approach controller is having a tea break. Then presumably he suddenly declares he is going IFR, gives a false position (because he is lost) and climbs through say a 1,000 foot base to conflict with the localiser.

That is just about the only scenario I can think of and just doesn’t sound very credible.

VFR traffic straying into a zone because the pilot is lost resulting in a loss a separation with break offs I can understand - unfortunately they happen. Lost Ired pilots creeping undetected under the base and popping up IFR without a clearance I am struggling with.

CAP 413 note 1 is also worth a read - there is no ICAO requirement to declare your ratings and the suggestion to do so is coupled with passing ANY information that might be useful to the controller to assist. I suspect if I was IR rated it would not be high on my priorities. I would be far more concerned to say I was NOT IRed.

Last edited by Fuji Abound; 16th Jun 2005 at 21:35.