PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Singapore Airlines has a secret agenda.
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2005, 10:37
404 Titan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunfish
If you are to be true to your supposed beliefs, you will oppose ALL trade liberalisation, which of course you won't do.
You sir are talking BS.

For your information I am totally anti free trade and globalization and I have made my point known on this forum before. These economic boffins, and I call them this for a very good reason because most are academics with no real world experience piss me off. As an accountant I detest most of them. If you want to see what trade liberalization is doing right now you can look no further than the textile industries in both the US and Europe. Both opened up their markets to quota less imports in January this year. Within two months imports from China to both these places increased close the 2000%. Yes that’s right 2000%. Quite rightly both Europe and the US are now going to reimpose quotas to stop the Chinese from abusing the situation. Globalization is all very well and good if everyone and I mean everyone plays by the same rules. Unfortunately every country is out there to protect its own interest and this my friend defeats the who premise of globalization.
404 and Titan. When the car industry was deregulated, did you stand on the picket lines and say "This is a national disgrace! I am prepared to pay an extra $1000 to buy a Holden, no matter how crappy it is, because it is in the national interest"?
You want to talk about the car industry? Fine, I'll go there. You tell me any car maker that is Australian owned? You can’t can you. They are all American or Japanese. At the time it was quite obvious to the Federal Labour Government that if the subsidization remained most of these car makers were not going to have the incentive to invest in new plant and equipment to improve the efficiency of the car manufacturing industry in this country. The Button plan was to make Australia a car exporter. Up until that time the only cars exported were to NZ and PNG. Now I regularly see Commodores in the Middle East as well as Australian built Camry’s in other parts of the world. Does the total Australian car industry employ more people than before? No. This is mostly due to Mitsubishi which has major problems with its parent company in Japan and has closed plants in this country and the USA because it doesn’t have the resources to keep them running. Will the Australian car industry survive? Who knows? Certainly if is going to it is going to have to make further inroads into the export market because Australia is too small a place to support a car industry in its own right.
To put it another way so that you understand it, you are total hypocrits, but of course QF didn't teach you anything except flying did they?
They didn't teach me anything because I don't work for them.
To put it another way, where you stands depends on where you sit. You demonstrate this beautifully. If SIA offered all of you Captains positions with lots of $$$$ you would change your tune immediately.
Just for the record I work for one of those airlines that are trying to get access to the Aus/US route. My tune still hasn’t changed. If fifth freedom rights are going to be handed out then every country must open up there markets to everyone else. Then and only then will there be true globalization in the aviation industry. This though will never happen because every country wants to protect its own airlines. Why should Australia once again be the sacrificial lamb to an economic theory which isn’t going to work unless everyone else plays by the same rules?
We can always rebuild Qantas later, and do it without the stench of S$%# that surrounds it.
Well this last quote just proves my case. You have an axe to grind with QF, nothing more, nothing less and everything you have to say is an emotive response which lacks all credibility.