PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 407
Thread: Bell 407
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2001, 07:38
407 Driver

I have 2 years on a 407 and it's the greatest Aircraft that I've ever flown. It may be a perfect little Intermediate, but those darn tailbooms keep falling off?
It's very responsive in flight, crisp accurate control, Longlining is a snap, it just makes you look good.
It has auto-start. After 24 years of holding starters and winding throttles, that took me some getting used to!
The FADEC is extremely accurate with the Nr control, it never droops, hardly overspeeds, but in Manual throttle it's a bit of a bear, way more touchy than a 212. The onboard computer records every parameter, so pilot abuse is not possible without the wrench knowing exactly what you "pulled".
The best thing about the aircraft (other than the (EX) 140Kt speed is the climb rate, it climbs out like a Home-sick Angel. Initial rate of climb at gross is way up towards 2,000 FPM. It's been described as a mini-214 by some(who have 214 time)

Some problems, other than the new 110 Kt VNE (effective today) are:
-A very short distance from Butt to Pedals ..if you're over 5'8" it's going to be uncomfortable to fly for extended periods.
-A very high collective setting in cruise, to the point of having your elbow touch the back wall, uncomfortable at first.
Any more questions, comments email me at: [email protected] Fly Safe!