PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 407
Thread: Bell 407
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2001, 00:42
CTD

Unhappy

Don't get wrapped up in that hysteria. There is no evidence right now to suggest the accident in the gulf had anything to do with the previous tail rotor issues on the 407. Bell has flown over 400 flights on instrumented aircraft with the new tail rotor configuration, hitting points up to and including 0.1 second full left pedal inputs at Vne. The data was given to FAA and TC and the configuration approved.

As I said in the other forum, this reminds me of the hysteria surrounding the 76 throwing blades and turbine wheels, the 'Falling Star', the Hu500 lead lag link failures, the AS350 spherical brg failures, the R22 tossing main rotor systems.....etc etc. These problems come up on aircraft, and the certification system takes care of them. Unfortunately, sometimes it hurts. A lot. But hysteria and rumour mongering does not serve anyone.

Now, if you do start to fly the 407, and want some constructive advice.....it's a very simple helicopter with oodles of power. My best piece of advice would be to not panic about the FADEC failure procedures. Many pilots who fly 47s, or 212/205s in manual seem to get overwhelmed by the 407 in manual. Why? I don't know, but it happens. Don't think of it as a 'failure', all that's happening is the helicopter is telling you it doesn't have enough information to control the fuel flow anymore, and it hands the throttle to you. Period.

And make sure your Ng is at 0 before turning off the battery.

Good luck!