PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lowering cloud base rising terrain
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2005, 22:41
Miserlou

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DFC only quoted AOPA's report which shows one quarter of the CFIT accidents to be IMC qualified.
You've got to ask yourself why there are IMC qualified pilots in that group at all.

My experience is that the pressure of going from VMC into IMC when you weren't planning/expecting is not to be dismissed. I'd much rather take-off with 90m RVR, solid IMC all the way and a CAT 2 ILS an hour later.

Scud-running is also quite a strain. It isn't hard to imagine a pilot, after a certain period getting tired and just wanting a way out, not realizing the effort required. In this case, when a 180 is no longer an option, a precautionary landing would still be much the better option. From a human performance point of view, it is a way out and it gives you all the time in the world to work out a new plan.

The situation is much like that of the remaining engine on a twin when one fails. It takes you to the scene of the accident!

If the pilot of the twin used the other engine as a means to extend his glide range but didn't actually expect to or try to FLY on it, we might also so see a drop in multi-engine accidents.

Twins only have two engines because they NEED two. (And depending on the operation, no requirement to be able to climb or fly on one.)

The change can be made safely but one must have a good plan from the start and know how little one can get away with, chart-wise.

Don't discount the scenarios which DFC mentions either. I made a flight a few years ago where I got to 10,000', still IMC and found the trim to be frozen. Just over an hour later, I found that one of the tip-tanks' vents was also iced up and with no aileron trim to help though I was VMC on top by then. Eventually, the tip-tank did transfer it's fuel but the elevator trim meant I was still 10 kts off the speed I wanted to fly at.
Finally, I got to the destination and had to fly a full procedure NDB approach to minimums, worse than forecast weather.

Not quite finally actually. Finally came a week later. One of the fuel tanks had a collapsed rubber cell. I'd landed with a lot less fuel than I thought I'd had and had come too darned close to needing it!
Made me think very hard, that did!