PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Attitude at impact
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2005, 15:38
Low-Pass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry if I misunderstand you Rubik but you seem to infer that Flight 232 - the Souix City DC10 - didn't land the right way up.... There are several good documentries on the accident and I suggest you take a look. Or type "Flight 232" into Google and take a read.

The aircraft touched down at over 200 knots the correct way up but with a high sink-rate which caused fusilage to break up and the wings to part, spilling fuel which then ignited. The pieces were then spread over a wide area. Of the 285 pax on board, 185 survived thanks in part to the close proximity of the emergency services but mostly due to Capt. Al Hayes, assisted by another UA captain, Dennis Fitch. As mentioned, they couldn't find another crew who could replicate the effort. Sure, think out of the box, but please acknowledge that these guys DID and survived in real life rather than just talking about it.

As for an open field vs. airport, my 2c is - sure, if you can't find a suitable airport, sure, go for the best field you can see but it's got to be a BIG field to be better than an airport.

Cheers,

Chips