PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Attitude at impact
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2005, 13:45
alexban

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would try to reach an airfield suitable for the a/c for some obvious reasons:
*there will be available immediate help-which is critical regarding fire or medical help.
* the rwy should be clear of obstacles as opposed to a 'clean,open field ".I flew aerobatic and utility planes years ago,but I remember how tricky can be an 'open field' seen from above ,full of ditches,solitary obstacles,...discovered only after touchdown.
Those could be handled sometimes flying a low speed ,light aircraft,but it's a lot different trying to land an airliner.
Don't believe what you see in the movies...the plane will become a wreck,almost sure there'll be a fire,etc...You'll have to consider the worst scenario,and get any help available asap.
Of course,if the closest airport is out of reach,or the danger too high ,then ....is the cpt decision,and it's not out of the box.
Rubik....did you land on an open field?Not on a grass rwy,or somewhere in England on a nice,green field?
What you see from 300m above is totally different from what you find on the ground.
Do you think you'll avoid all the cars on a highway (as seen on movies) ,or that the asphalt will hold your 744?...You'll almoust sure start a huge accident ,raging fire,many victims on the ground and on the plane...
I saw small agricultural planes hitting unseen electrical wires,tumbling upside down due to soft ground or ditches,or what a damage a hidden rock or fountain can do to a plane...
I guess you won't think a Bus or a Boeing will be stronger that a small aerobatic plane....it's 1mm alumimium skin,landing with a speed incomparable greater,and maybe with a lot of fuel onboard..Maybe one of the older russian planes will survive though...I flew some and there can be quite impressive
So,I suggest you should try to reach an airfield ,if you fly an airliner...it's the safest way IMHO
Brgds fly safe
Alex