PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Miscommunication btwn CC and Flight Deck....
Old 11th Jun 2005, 10:44
flybywire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sky, the BMI 737-400 Kegworth accident is a VERY good example, and new crews always respond very well to it during initial training. The video reconstruction that has been produced is very well done too. It enlightens all the different rings of the chain that led to the disaster-from flight crew being converted on the new 737 too quickly to the confusion about right=Nr2 engine and right=correct engine, miscommunication between passengers and cabin crew and the already present tension between Flight and Cabin crew.
I have a very detailed report on that, I just need to find it!!!

Another always valid talking point is the Saudi Arabian Airlines L-1011 accident which happened on aug 19th 1980. They had a fire in the cargo hold, which spread into the cabin very quickly, soon after leaving Ryadh and landed back, but a series of communication mistakes resulted in the death, on the ground, of all the crew+passengers on board (Plane didn't stop immediately and crews didn't evacuate).
It is very interesting, I would look into it if I were you. Again I have some very detailed information about it at home but need to do some tidying up!!!

If you want a less tragic one, the Qantas 747 which floated over the runway-big problems with CRM in the cockpit- and then overrun the runway is a good one. Crews at the front opened the doors and those at the back of the jumbo didn't even notice the nose had collapsed!!!

Anyway, the internet is a very useful source, you'll find tons of information. I will try to find the documents anyway (hopefully before Christmas!!!)

Ciao

FBW

PS: on the airtours 737-200, if I am not mistaken, the fire was on the ground. The plane never got off the ground.

Last edited by flybywire; 11th Jun 2005 at 11:08.