PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Miscommunication btwn CC and Flight Deck....
Old 11th Jun 2005, 08:06
sinala1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thus far I have two examples, one is the Airtours(?) 737 which shut down the wrong engine after CC didn't tell the Capt the sparks were from OTHER engine
Are you referring to the BMI Kegworth B737-400 incident? If not, I will try and get a detailed incident report for you - a *very* good incident to learn from, comes up in every CRM course I have done...

Another good incident to study is QF1 in BKK - a B744 overran the runway and ended up in a golf course. The actual runway overrun was not anything to do with the cabin crew (obviously!) however the ensuing half hour or so are quite interesting - the aircraft's E&E bay (the part of the a/c that has all the controlling devices for interphones etc) was submerged in mud and subsequently rendered useless - very difficult for the crew on the main deck to communicate with the flight deck re evacuation etc... the link to the official Australian Transport Safety Bureau report can be found here and is well worth the read....

A further incident worth reading about is an Air New Zealand B762 taking off out of Brisbane that had an engine cowling separation and subsequent return to BNE. The flight crew contacted the Supervisor, who failed to pass the information on regarding brace commands to be shouted, cabin preparation etc (commands used on ANZ were at the time different depending on whether it was prepared/unprepared)... the result was half the crew shouting the prepared brace commands, other half shouting unprepared brace commands... you can find the link to the ATSB report here... its a long but very worthwhile read!

Hope these help - and I am sure I can track down some more for you if you want! A QF one springs to mind re a B767 crew who were standing for landing.....

Cheers!