PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lowering cloud base rising terrain
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2005, 14:39
Miserlou

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally, I can't see what is so controversial about DFC's point of view.

I fly IFR every working day but still appreciate the danger of the transition from VMC to IMC in a single-engined piston. It still requires a high work load, even if you have made the conscious decision that you are prepared to do so at the planning stage, coupled with an element of emotional stress be it disapointment, fear or failure.

Strangely enough my last 2 proficiency checks have both involved some flying down to 500'agl (due wx) but my partner in crime and I were both in agreement as to our course of action and we could have gone IFR immediatley if we chose. Indeed, it would have been easier to climb and file IFR but we chose the harder route for practice purposes. The last occasion also showed vividly the effect of drizzle on a not sufficiently clean windshield. The view from the side windows was considerably better.

If I were to find myself in such a situation I would be unlikely to be in a type which was sufficiently equiped to even consider the IMC option.

If I found myself in facing weather which would prevent further progress I would turn back. If you do land, you don't know how long you're going to be sitting in the field hence the earlier poster suggesting a good field with pub at hand.

If, however, I'd been trapped and the way back was suddenly blocked I'd find a field, a blardy good field. Just to throw some contentious material in here, I'd add that any field which is not big enough to take-off from is not big enough to be safely landed in considering that the engine is still functioning normally and I would expect an operator to seek full reimbursement from any pilot who did so.

Weather rarely gets that bad that quickly so there is little excuse for not having time to find a suitable place to land. And if you can use some time to find a suitable field why not find time finding the nearest reachable airfield or gliding site? Many dis-used fields are sitll suitable landing areas.

If you're worried about the surface then I'd like to mention a bush technique. Bounce your wheels down on the ground and make a go-around. Circle and come back to inspect the marks which you may have made. If they are full of water find somewhere higher or another surface to land.

Last edited by Miserlou; 9th Jun 2005 at 16:05.