PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Children from previous marriages
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2005, 06:42
Red Line Entry

Received 28 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the Services in general are tying themselves in knots over these types of issues. On the one hand, we’re all meant to be individuals and responsible for our own lives (so no more taking cheque books away from airmen with financial problems, no unofficial punishments for misdeeds, no official involvement in personal lives etc) – but on the other hand we’re still meant to be a “band of brothers” with a responsibility to look after each other in peace, and to fight and die for each other in war.

So the role and responsibility of the RAF to the individual becomes more unclear. Is the Service just an employer, or should it attempt to go further with the resulting risk of litigation when everything goes to worms?

In my experience, the RAF as a “system” has tended to take the first route, while individuals within it at unit level have tried to bridge the gap and do more to help. Often this puts the Chf Clk or OC PMS in an invidious position between enforcing the party line and supporting the flt or sqn that is trying to help one of its own.

Is the situation likely to improve? I doubt it; the more we move towards being a more litigious society the worse things are likely to get!