PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FedEx pilots again reject ALPA?
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2002, 10:57
Ignition Override

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

FEDEX pilots have told me a few times that the UPS pilots receive a better salary. As to benefits, I have no idea.

Whether that is true or not, if many FEDEX pilots believe that they should not be part of ALPA, then maybe ALPA should not have tried to let them into the union.

And if the FPA is the best union for FEDEX (I'm well aware of the many "rugged individualists" there who believe that they are white collar, and that their careers are bulletproof, while being ignorant of the devastation to our industry caused by Lorenzo and Icahn etc), then why do FEDEX pilots deserve the same pay and benefits as UPS pilots? I remember reading years ago about a very angry FEDEX pilot who challenged a pro-ALPA pilot to a fight with tire irons. Believe it was in the "Wall Street Journal". The macho gentleman must have been brain-washed into thinking that civilian pilots are white-collar folks, just like military officers. Such types must not be aware of airline labor history in the US, either.

Apparently, either the FPA doesn't know how to negotiate an industry-leading contract (or can't find true union solidarity) or Mr. Fred Smith doesn't really believe that "his" pilots deserve the higher pay in the freight industry. Or is it a combination of two or more of these factors? Over three years ago, I jumpseated on a few FEDEX flights and the crews were hospitable, although one Captain was a bit distant, knowing that I work for an ALPA carrier.

I realize that ALPA was quite aggressive and abrasive in its first attempts to organize over there. It appears to me that without serious concerns and frustrations among most of the pilots years ago, maybe they should never have attempted to bring in ALPA. Of course "the Commercial Appeal" newspaper never presents a balanced perspective, and it is likely that the editors might have filtered out some interesting info which (former writer) Mr. Hirschmann and others attempted to print.

Even on weekdays, there are so many widebodies parked in MEM, due to the postal contract. How does the extra flying change the situation?

[ 26 January 2002: Message edited by: Ignition Override ]

[ 02 February 2002: Message edited by: Ignition Override ]</p>