PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lowering cloud base rising terrain
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2005, 20:39
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just love all the assumptions that people with IRs or IMC ratings will be any better off should the weather descend on a VFR flight.

One of the biggest killers in aviation is VFR flight continued into IMC.

I'll say that again.

Did I mention pilot qualifications - No

Did I mention aircraft equipment - No

Repeat after me -

Check out the stats. - Many of the aircraft dug into hill sides were well equipped aircraft flown by current experienced IR holders!!!

Basic training impresses us that planning is not simply good Airmanship, it is essential.

Unless one has planned for an IMC flight - do not think that entering IMC will save you because it will probably kill you even if you are an IR holder - check the stats.

If a VFR flight pulls up into IMC, they have lost everything except the posibility of keeping the aircraft right way up for some time.

Ask yourself;

Do you cancel VFR flights if the freezing level is low? - No? but what if you enter IMC can you fly a lump of ice on instruments?

Do you carry IFR charts on VFR flights? - No? but even with an IR or IMC the flight becomes illegal on entering cloud because you do not have the appropriate charts to get to a safe destination for sure. Never mind illegal, think practicalities - how do you naviagte to suitable approach minima!

Do you plan the flight as an IFR flight with appropriate navigation aids and check the IFR notams when completing a VFR flight?

Lots of things to think about.

But I can tell you that in the simulator, 75% of IMC holders in current practice kill themselves going from VFR to IFR flight cause the weather gets bad - why? - more than 1/2 of them forgot to turn on the pitot and lost control after the pressure head iced over during the climb.

Yea call 121.50..........but make it a mayday cause there is a good chance that if you continue VFR into IMC you will not survive.

Better to take your chances with a precautionary landing.

Regards,

DFC