PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Life after EK
Thread: Life after EK
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2005, 17:15
typhoonpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where do the EK F/O's leave to for better conditions and similar aircraft type?
Of those that I know personally:

One back to OZ to cropdust and raise stud cattle

One F.O. back to Ryanair as a TRI

Two to Virgin Atlantic

One who quit on an ASR, destination unknown.

Ran into a guy in Longs who is going back to SAS.

One Captain to Dragonair

If Virgin Pacific ( or whatever it will be called ) starts in OZ and Korean start hiring look for 50 Captains to be gone in a flash. Ouch, that will hurt. Also looking for the Japanese carriers to be hiring in a few years time ( can you say, "USD 15,000 per month based in North America" )

If the FI article runs true about a deal to get rid of the A340-500s and possibly the A340-600s going to Jet/Sahara along with the A380 being delayed into 2007 I would hope the company sees the light and starts transition upgrades or you'll see quite a few unhappy campers heading for the door.

What is really amazing is that three of the above mentioned dearly departed are 777s F.O.s, only one of whom was affected by the changing goal posts. None of whom would be affected by the DECs.

Once upon a time I worked for a carrier with all of 40 pilots. Five of us ( all captains ) were hired by a foreign carrier ( as DECs LHR ). All five of us went in to the boss and said we would stay in return for a 35% pay raise ( we were grossly underpaid ). The answer was no, so we all left. In the following months the company had to raise the pay to what we had asked for in order to obtain/retain guys. Unfortunately for them they had lost their five best Captains and in a few years time had their AOC revoked for numerous violations. A pity really, as the company had been very profitable and never had an accident or serious incident.

Draw your own parallels

TP