PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Life after EK
Thread: Life after EK
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2005, 11:47
maxalt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi MR8.

As far as I am aware, the rule for asking permission for leaving Dubai on days off is actually a legal requirement. EK is the sponsor of your visa, so if you leave the country with outstanding debts and do a runner, it's EK who has to cover for you. This law is 'designed' for the low salary guys on the building sites etc, but does apply to every expat in Dubai. At least that is what I have been told, and it would make sense.. Correct me if I'm talking B*LL.
Fair enough if it is - but then why do they use it as a means to control crewing, as has been stated?
If its just a legal technicality how can they refuse your colleagues permission at all? Unless they think they're never coming back?

Maxalt, as for Big Brotherism.. A certain low cost carrier in the UK checks staff travel for guys who call in sick.. If they catch you on a staff ticket flying somewhere while you should be in bed, expect a phonecall to come in for T&B. Lalaland is watching you...
I have no problem at all with that! Thats because I can see the difference between a legitimate right to freedom of travel on my days off and being caught out in an intentional lie and abuse of sick leave rules.