PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Life after EK
Thread: Life after EK
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2005, 12:37
maxalt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Office girl/superintendant - whats the diff?

Some clerk giving me permission to do what I like with my well earned time off is more than just a 'formality' IMHO.
Its an affront to my independance and smacks of Big Brotherism.

Still, some can live under that sort of regime. Its a matter of personal standards I guess.

I once worked for a short while for an Asian company which required all swops to be applied for in writing, in triplicate (or was it quadruplicate), and including a 'reason' for wanting the swop.

Most never bothered trying to swop because of the unweildy system, but when a colleague wanted to finish early so he could pick up his mother from a flight - he wrote 'personal reasons' in the request.

It was refused on grounds he didn't provide enough detail on the reason for wanting the swop!

If they expect you to ask for permission to go away, I presume they can also refuse permission - or why require you to ask?
You say you've never been refused, so thats all right then. What will you do if they ever decide to refuse permission? Do you have any rights? A union? An appeal?
Now, what if the refusal is based on some past misdeameanour? You didn't bend over backwards once to help out, or you were a bit akward about something, or a clerk has just taken a dislike to you?

This is the kind of bullcrap certain managements use to coerce and cow their employees. Its a power trip and they'll use it when the time comes.

Its also why I don't choose to work in the Middle East/Asia.

Last edited by maxalt; 29th May 2005 at 12:59.