PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Testing at Cranfield
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2005, 08:03
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Not sure there's anything I can think off offhand, I'm sure like any other aeronautical training, you'll be working your **** off on the Cranfield FT course and probably won't have any spare time if you are doing it properly.

If you've some time in advance, reading up on some basic flight test techniques will do you some favours - see if your library has Darrol Stinton's "Flying Qualities and Flight Testing of the Aeroplane". If you can't get that, have a rummage around the net and download FAA's "AC23-8" which is their flight test guide for fixed wing aircraft, that'll provide similar (but less readable) advice.

Also however, could I make a request of you. Like many others I did that course early in my training, but from what I understand you'll be one of the first to do it in Cranfield's new flying-lab (I think they've gone from a rather elderly Jetstream Mk.1 to a rather larger Jetstream 31 plus a new FTI suite) and presumably they've to a fair extent re-written the course around the new aircraft. If once you've done it you'd like to post a write up of the course, what you covered and learned, and any opinions of it, a lot of us would be very interested to read it.

Best of luck,

G

N.B. Hard to prove, but I think I've probably met more Southampton Aero graduates in the UK flight test community than graduates of any other degree - you're starting in the right place.