PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Life after EK
Thread: Life after EK
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2005, 07:31
Uplink

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suppose I better answer the slagging off I am getting.

Trashed:
All major airlines do transition upgrades so should EK.......

EK did transition upgrades, but hardly cost effective when you are running two large fleets. The pass rate became a problem especially for guys coming from 146 and B737 etc. Not to say that they were not good, just that they had very little exposure to major intl travel and found the decision making on a large jet a little different to what they had been flying, hence the turn to upgrades on the same fleet. More comfortable for the individual. Cant say I am entirely happy with this but economically it does make sense. People find it hard enough doing an upgrade. No need to complicate it further with a type change as well. It is my guess you are an airbus pilot and so are pretty upset that your upgrade is not forthcoming. I feel for you. But a couple of years ago the airbus guys leap frogged the Boeing guys. I know of several cases of Airbus guys getting upgrades up to a year before the Boeing guys, with the Boeing guys being higher on the seniorority. Guess what, in 2007 this will happen again when the A380 arrives. It is market forces. The DEC's are being used for the A310's that are coming. I am sure if you volunteer they will let you go on it. Or maybe you are not that desperate.

Brix:

you have answered your own question. If that is the thing that gripes you the most;-

1. In EK you have to ask for permission to leave Dubai on off- days.
2. If you are flying on duty in EK and your girlfriend/wife has joined you on the trip you are not allowed to walk back to the cabin and see her (company policy).
3. Generally speaking, living in Dubai means living under an arbitrary rule.

Then go and find an airline where you can do all of the above. I think you will find that with the day off issue there are many guys who commute and have not made it back in time for their work pattern. It happened too many times and the rest of us have to suffer by covering their work. Remember before you state that we should have overseas basings..... We dont and never IMHO will. The commuters took the job knowing this. If they cant take it they have to make alternative arrangements. ie CX and SQ. But likewise you will find there are limitations there.

LHR:

Whats wrong with Canadians and are they that bad that you can group them together as a race and slander their character. Yes I am a Capt but I still had to do my time as an F/O. My thoughts were and I say say again. There are 1200 pilots here and the people that moan are generally a very small minority. Conditions are improving out there and yes EK may not get the people they want. Yes there may be resignations. I doubt 200 but maybe the figure you state, again a small enough proportion that could probably be classed as natural wastage. Those jobs you speak of out there, maybe those are the ones that people like you ought to leave for. No offence. The rest of us still have to work and live here. It may not be ideal, but I will not spend the rest of my time here bitching and moaning like a bunch of old women. We do not have a union and therefore have no sway. The unions could keep our contracts in check but that is about it. As to pay rises, see what is happening in Europe. The mangement only pay you what they want. It is a done deal going in to a management pay meeting. Believe me I have done it many times.

Believe:

I am close by the length of time you have been here. I also do not like having my contract continually changed. The problem is, there is no way here to change that. Remember what happened when a contingency of gentlemen tried to start a union. I seem to remember the leader received a small call from the big leader. There is no answer. It is like being institutionalised. You either accept it and get on with life or not. (easy time v hard time). The only choice we have to not accept it, is to leave. That is the option. and the only option. If you can find a better deal and package I am all ears.

Gulfa:

Last spoke to Mumbai going west 2 1/2 years ago.

You all have a choice, stay or leave. If you stay then do easy time and stop moaning. It will achieve absolutely nothing. Except to piss your colleagues off. Make your voice heard in a diplomatic way. Look at the RSV dutied they have just changed. Again I didnt vote for that to be implemented. I voted against it. It has been changed and I cant do anything about it. But I am not going to loose sleep over it. If I wake up one morning and the company has completely pissed me off, I will resign. I did it before. Maybe I am just a little more tolerant in my advanced years