PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Life after EK
Thread: Life after EK
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2005, 02:48
Uplink

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well said Alpha. I am still humoured by the rumour mill. The people that are leaving (20 this week, if anyone can name every one who is I would be glad to see the list) good luck to you all. I have to agree with Alpha, are you going to another job as an F/O to sit at the bottom of a list that will move as slowly as here.

At the moment it is the turn of the Airbus fleet to wait for their commands. A couple of years ago it was the Boeing fleet who had to watch Airbus guys leap ahead of them in the command stakes. In the next couple of years the A380 will come and guess what, the Boeing guys will watch the Airbus guys get ahead again.

Wherever you do end up, there will always be something to moan about. Emirates are expanding and there are very few out there doing it at the rate we are. I know guys in Europe who have waited 12 years for a command. So why is it different here. Because the interview promised a quick command? You dont have to be a rocket scientist to work out that with the aim of achieving 2200 pilots by 2010 (more or less) there will be 1100 capts and 1100 F/O's. There are over 1200 pilots in the company now. So providing you make the grade the upgrade will come. Unless you are a captain already, then it will come alot quicker than on the outside. As for the DEC's they are coming on the A310 and are very welcome to it.

As for new joiners, I cannot believe that people are still basing their joining decision on things they read here. If you think we are having a bad time look up the road to QR or GF. Everybody is the same. SQ have their faults, and yes they maybe are going to get a big bonus. But it is a little naive to look just at what you are paid. There is the package as a whole to consider.

If you compare the package like for like for any airline you will find you win and loose on all items across the board. Look at what SQ are doing to their accomodation allowance. They are shafted there too. If you find a package and not just cold hard cash which exceeds what you are getting now. Congatulations you have just found your next job.

As for resignations, I think someone on here said 200. What a load of crap. The only thing that will happen here is people wont join. They wont join often because of the horse **** they read here. What that does is jeopodise everyones job here. I certainly dont want to see aircraft parked against the fence. Guess what happens then, redundencies. Then you are screwed because your command will be even longer coming as you are fighting tooth and nail with your old colleagues trying to get the crapest job just to keep you head above the water. (As an F/O)
We will all end up like the Ozzies did in '89 but thats another story.

So the long and short of it is to wait and see. If you decide to stay then dont make life hard for yourself and your colleagues, it just makes it miserable for everyone. If you are going to leave, then just do it. You will be replaced. I worked in my last job for 15 years and realised I was just a number. I expect very few would know me now. We all move on. I did and was replaced.