PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Our Brave Boys? Or Murdering Thugs?
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2005, 19:08
The Helpful Stacker

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
It’s the same rubbish rumour as flushing Korans down the toilet but unbelievably spread and given credence by the RAF who were not even there.
Stuk - I doff my hat to you.

Unfortunately previously the closest many in the RAF got to 'the action' was a hotel in Italy whilst a few of us kept our heads down in such delightful locations as Kiseljak, Gornji Vakuf or dodged the dead cows floating around the Ploce death camp. Obviously they worked just as hard as us lot in Bosnia after all you don't get a medal for going out for pasta and Grappa then popping down the beach for a swim. Oh sorry, they did.

Things are changing now though, a few of those folk who previously took a Samsonite suitcase on 'Ops' are now starting to take this whole 'being in the military thing' a bit serious. It was amazing how much attention was being paid to what was being taught but the Regt lads on an IRT course I recently did. Perhaps the realisation that Iraq is slightly more iffy than Italy has kicked in eh?

Now I didn't write this to try and impress with sandbag tales but its apparent from threads such as RAF becoming Army that some folk don't realise what being a uniformed member of the Armed Forces could entail, namely doing something a bit dangerous (or boring) occasionally. Perhaps those who struggle with the concept of a military career being something that has certain risks could exit stage left and become a civil servant. God knows there are enough disgruntled ex-service personnel in the CS already, a few more wouldn't hurt.