PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Our Brave Boys? Or Murdering Thugs?
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2005, 14:45
Roghead

Interesting discussion, bringing out the extremes of opinion, as ever. I had the privilege and pleasure of living and working with Middle Eastern Muslims whilst training the young officers of Oman several years ago. This was before the world had really woken up to evils of fanatical fundamentalism,(Muslim or otherwise) although it most certainly existed. One benefit of "being there" was that the differences in attitudes to just about everything twixt the Arab Muslim world and the Rest was so incredibly obvious and strong. For those who have not experienced it first hand it is absolutely impossible to give a balanced argument on anything which involves ME Muslims.
I see nothing which has changed or softened this "mindset" (to quote previous contributors) in fact it is abundantly clear that the situation is now far worse.
Why?
I could but will refrain from giving my reasons but will say that the indisciplined, out of control press and media coverage has much blame to shoulder (I sadly miss the "D" notices of old). Consequently I cannot support Beags et al, and whilst 16Blades et al may not be holding the high moral ground, their opinions and attitudes are IMHO more likely to reduce the scourge of fundalmentalism.
So, back to my armchair and whisky and quiet life.