PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why this forum is not for experienced pilots! - Discussion
Old 25th May 2005, 11:52
JB007

PPRuNe Secret Agent!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting point Luke made, as a Turboprop F/O myself, is my next jet position going to be in competition with an OATS Grad or CTC Cadet ??!! Mmmm, honestly never thought of that one!

I like to have a browse through this forum, I also checkout Ts & E to read the odd "lifestyle" thread.....and yes, I can be accused of ignoring the modular/intergrated threads, but I also remember contributing to those once too!

I think Rob is correct to be harsh to all wanabees, it needs to be told how it is! It's changed in a frighteningly short space of time. When I started studying for my ATPL writtens, buying type-ratings was just not on the cards. By the time I was looking for my first job, it was in full swing! NYC still had Twin Towers and the low-cost market was just beginning to break but unknown to what extream.

I had a rough old ride to the glorious RHS, which actually resulted in a fairly big change of attitude towards this industry, the postion of flight crew within it It's fair to say that I think most Airline Exec's would run an airline without pilots if they could!!!and what I wanted to get out of it and what I think I can do about it as an FOD in 20 years time!!!. Don't get me wrong, I can't get enough of going to work, but wanabees need to be aware of just how it is and what it's really like to get to be in that position.

I got ripped off from a particular flying school, as did many others who were with me at the time, I also had a very tough time due to the standard of instruction, which naturally, resulted in me spendng more money. I keep an eye open for wannabees considering schools in this area and offer them my experience for the simple reason I would not wish anyone to go through what I went through. We actually could have really put the record straight last year with a large thread on this school but the student in question decided to back off when things got a little hot!

About a year ago, I accepted a job on a fantastic bizjet which was just too good to be true - in fact, it was! Very poor management and general bullsh!t mean't I had to be ruthless and move on - thankfully to exactly where I wanted to be and my first choice airline (thats not a pun by the way, I don't work for FCUK!). But doesn't that just show I would have done anything to get on the first job ladder? I'm embarrassed to admit it! But I became aware that a sniff of anything was worth chasing!

And I really don't wanna talk about what i've spent to get there!

Rob is correct, the first 10 years of my career is going to be spent paying back what it's cost me. I'm thankful I own property and in the South-East but if I didn't, god only knows when I would be in a position to gain a mortgage!

I would say you have got to really really really want to do this! It's the best job in the world but keep your eye's open and have a 100% soild idea of where you want your career to go and possibly with whom. Have a solid grounding of this industry, almost be a sad enthusiast. Know what your getting into when joining a company, spend some time reading Ts & E

My Dad, who flies for a living also, asked me a question about 6 months ago, when we found ourselves sat in the local with a few descent pints of Theakston's talking about this flight and that approach and that landing and that cabin crew! "If you know what you know now, would you ever have started"?

Mmm - nice one Dad!

Cheers
JB

Last edited by JB007; 25th May 2005 at 12:21.