PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The World's Biggest Aircraft Order
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2005, 19:16
chipsbrand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting ideas about American and probably what they would like to do. But there are plenty of other airlines that are facing big aircraft buying decisions. BA is one of them. What to do about the A380 or perhaps the new 747, or replace some of its 744's with 773's? Then what about JAL with its huge fleet of 747's? JAL has always been an industry leader in aircraft procurement, which way will it go?

I have been involved with many aircraft buying decisions over the years and all my experience tells me that I should go for half Airbus and half Boeing by value. That has to be the best decision that any airline can take. That is the only way to stop the manufacturers dominating your life. I was told by a senior LH manager some five years ago that that was exactly their corportae strategy. Why should it be different for any other airline. Easy played the game and won. Maybe when Ryanair go long haul they will buy Airbus.

But if Airbus is thought to be propping up US Air why should Boeing not prop up American? (See the US/America West merger thread).