PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Our Brave Boys? Or Murdering Thugs?
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2005, 17:26
stiknruda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't condone any violence against prisoners but I am big enough to understand that isolated incidents will occur, presumably as a form of retaliation for acts committed or stress at being in theatre and a commensurate but limited breakdown of discipline.

I like a few other posters am aware that it has happened since time immemoriam and that it will always happen when there is conflict in our world.

Wasn't it Churchill during the Boer war who implied that truth is the first casualty of war?

My point of view - is that sensitive issues, such as alleged abuses, when made public serve no good whatsoever. We the occupiers feel very guilty and wring our hands publically. The natives get very pissed off, rightly so but all that the knowledge does is inflame further acts of terrorism and the whole circus descends further into lawlessness.

I am not for one second suggesting that the commanders turn a blind eye to atrocities, I feel that they should stamp them out at every opportunity. What I do propose is a blanket press ban on the reporting of this type of allegation.

The result - we'd not worry about it, we might suspect that it happen in limited occurences but that it was being managed and perpetrators disciplined. The Iraqis/Afghanis would not be made aware of it by sensational headlines although they too might suspect that it could be occuring and tension all round would reduce. For the guys in the field, well I believe that they know what is right and what is wrong and trial by media is not something else that they need to contend with.

Just my 2 dinars worth.

Stik